Monday, April 14, 2008

Sad about Selso

Friends, I'm sad to add this post that Selso has run away back to the streets again.  Almost two weeks ago actually, but I have been behind in blogging, and it wasn't until I saw him on Friday begging at a street corner that I remembered I hadn't told you all about it.  He ran from us (Pedro was in the car with me) which broIMG_3648ke my heart.  It's hard to love a boy and raise him for two years and have him run from you, even if I can understand a little from his point of view why.  We still want to be his friend, even if that means quick visits on the street. 

We will not use force to bring him back and it isn't decided whether he would even be allowed back if he wanted to come.  You see, this time, he took four boys with him.  He even tried to get our new seven-year old, Gaspar, to go with him.  He knew having a little one would bring in more money.  So, since he's posing a temptation to others, we will have to use great wisdom in deciding if he can come back if he seeks us out.

But the members of our street ministry team, myself and the other missionaries who see him in the city - we all want to keep in touch with him, bless him and pray for him and see how the Lord wants to use us to help Selso.   How I wish he would choose to love and follow Jesus and entrust his life to His hands.

Please keep praying for him!

(This gorgeous photo of Selso was taken by my friend and Iris visitor, David Ford.  Looking at it makes me cry.  Anyway, David's website, davidford.com.au, has lots of amazing photos of our children, as well as many others.  I want to make sure and give him credit for his talents!)

7 comments:

Jenny said...

He is a cutie!

I'm visting from Adele's site. I am planning on taking a longer look around!

Jen

Adele said...

Oh, wow. What sad news, Laura! I pray for wisdom for you, and for God's love to overwhelm Selso... Ouch, ouch.

HisPrincess said...

Hi Laura,

Honestly, I don't know how you do it. You must be heartbroken.

You are doing an amazing job with your boys. I take my hat off to you.

I will pray for you, your boys and for Selso.

I've really enjoyed looking around your blog, you are such an inspiration and a blessing.

God Bless
Sharon.

HisPrincess said...

Hi again!
I've just read through some of your posts, and I am in awe of what you do! Have I already said that? Probably, but can't hurt to say it again!

I just had to comment again and say that Antonio is beautiful! Did you find out what was so interesting in the cupboard?

Sharon.

Jare said...

on my last trip, i wondered what had happened to "my" little boy, Claudio, that I had bonded with on the previous trip. soon, at a street service, I saw him wandering the streets, in tattered clothing, begging the missionaries for food and money. I must've cried for hours. How heartbreaking. I can't imagine what it'd be like when you have raised him for years... My prayers are with you and Selso!

Amy Lynn said...

I just wanted to let you know I've been reading your blog. I don't know you but I've been to Pemba with Iris and hope to move to Africa soon and work with children. I am inspired by your huge heart and how you love each child so fully!! May God bless all you do and fill your hands and heart with more and more as you give away!!

Laura said...

Hello everyone! thanks for leaving comments! I think I've connected with most of you. Amy Lynn, when I clicked on your name, it said your profile wasn't public so I couldn't find a place to email you or leave a message to say Hello and thanks for reading my blog! I don't know if you'll check back or not but Hello!