Wednesday, May 28, 2008

My mom's current setback

I was supposed to be on a plane right now, three hours into my flight home to Mozambique.  But on Monday, Memorial Day, my mom was making the bed, pulling the blanket up and she heard a snap, crackle pop and turns out she broke her arm!  Just pulling up the blanket!  Poor thing! 

Although that is bad enough, my mom has Cerebral Palsy and is paralyzed on her left side.  The break is her right arm.  This leaves her completely incapacitated.  She cannot do the most basic things, like scratch an itch on her face, nor can she provide for her own personal hygiene.  Just one example, I cut up a banana for her, thinking she could probably grasp it (with her left hand) and eat it herself, even if it was awkward but although she could indeed grasp it, she couldn’t turn it toward her mouth to get the banana in the right place,  She can’t turn her left wrist like most of us can.  So she needs constant care and I didn’t feel I could leave Larry, her boyfriend, with that sole responsibility, while I am still here and can delay my departure. 

She had a biopsy over a week ago on masses in her stomach and we still haven’t received the results.  We think we will tomorrow, as today would have been the day except the holiday.  I have no idea how the treatment needs for these two issues may conflict or not. 

So I didn’t feel I could now leave.  I feel horrible about missing Children’s Day, a big celebration on June 1st, and I was really looking forward to going home so this requires an emotional and mental shift for me.  But I am so glad this happened before I left so I can be here to be a blessing to my mom and Larry. 

You know, I can remember for at least 20 years now, my mom saying that if anything ever happened to her right hand she’d have to go into a home to be cared for.  She’s been afraid of that nearly her whole adult life I think.  Not afraid of the home exactly, just afraid of being incapacitated.  Even today she said, you can put me in a home if you need to.  Of course we won’t and hey, no one there would be coming to scratch her itches anyway!  So it’s interesting that this has happened. 

She has surgery on Friday and will have  metal rod inserted in her arm. As long as her GP says she's in good enough health.  She meets with him tomorrow after all her pre-op tests at the hospital today (EKG, blood work, chest x-ray).  Her spirits are up which I think must be a result of people praying for her.  Please keep her in your prayers!

2 comments:

JARILYN said...

Oh Laura! I am so sorry this has happened! When it rains, it pours, right? My thoughts and prayers are with all of you!!

HisPrincess said...

Of course I will remember your Mom in my prayers.

She seems to be a very strong and incredible lady, and I know the Lord will watch over her healing.

I'm thankful that you were able to be there, and are able to stay on and look after your Mom, I'm sure she really appreciates it.