Monday, June 23, 2008

We love books!

Germany June 2008 055 Thanks to the generosity from two sources, we have loads of new, beautiful books to read in our dorm! 

The first gift was from my former colleague, Gail.  She was a nurse here who looked after my dorm's medical care, among many other nursing responsibilities.  She now works at a hospital ER in Kentucky called Good Samaritans.  They pitched in together and sent us a H U G E box of fun books.  Such amazing generosity!  I couldn't believe how many fun and cool books there were!

The second group that sent books is a friend named Jarilyn who visited here twice, in 2002 and 2003. She did a ton of research and found Portuguese kids books in the US!  Three of her friends pitched in to cover the cost and we received a beautiful box of Portuguese books as well.

I gave them out together and then each group went into their rooms to read with their Tias.  I think it was the quietest "reading" session they've ever had - everyone was thoroughly engrossed!  I took turns going from room to room reading.  Even if the books were in English I just translated (loosely!) as I read along.  Most of them don't read very well or if they have English books, they just love looking at the photos and naming the objects or making up a story.

Thanks everyone for blessing my darling boys in such a tangible way!

2 comments:

MoziEsmé said...

What fun! I love checking out new books myself - I can just imagine what they're feeling . . .

JARILYN said...

i pretty much cried when i saw that picture! :) I'm so glad they got there safe and are enjoyable for everyone! Yay for books! i LOVE books! and I'm glad you got home safely...