Friday, July 25, 2008

What $2 will buy you in produce in Mozambique

July 2008 015 I went to one of the local roadside markets for some produce and was so pleased to buy all this for only $2.  There were even a couple more potatoes and onions but I used them before I remembered to take the photo.  Believe it or not, these prices are higher than they have been, as is everything else here.  The fuel prices rising affects everything else (as in the rest of the world) and the prices of rice and other essentials have risen dramatically.

And although $2 is a great price for me for locally-grown and likely mostly organic produce, keep in mind - that's the average Mozambican's daily wage.  Imagine working all day and being able to buy that comparably small assortment of veggies for your effort. 

3 comments:

Nemo said...

A few words from an old missionary, “Be sure to bleach your veggies and fruit!” Even the resent tomato scare in the States would have never taken place if people would have soaked them in a little bleach. I always put two caps to a basin or sink full of water. Some missionaries my even put more! Then let them soak for about five min. this will greatly cut down on stomach bugs! You might even wash your dishes with a cap or two, just watch your clothing!

A side note: if you know that you might be eating out, i.e. off the street or a strange house, take one Pepto-Bismol capsule before hand. This has never failed for me in 16 years of field work. But the times that I did eat in a new home or from a new street vender... O boy! After a few visits though I found that I could freely eat from vendor or house 80% of the time free of ... you get the picture! And as my old doctor in West Africa says, “Pepto lets the bug out, but Imodium just keeps him in for another day.”

Sorry to be so candid here, but I don’t know if you have been told these little things or not, and at times the career (long term) missionaries forget, or they may be too new to the field themselves!

I have just listed a free missionary game on my blog that you and friends may enjoy!

http://missionariescollectshrunkenheads.blogspot.com/

Nemo said...

Sorry, I had not looked over your whole blog; I now see that your are a seasoned vet of the field!

Maybe what I wrote above will help someone...

Jodi said...

Hi Laura! Sorry I don't comment more. Blogger is a total pill - and won't let me log on - without pretending to open up a whole new account - even though I have a blog here!

Anyhoo - love seeing this kind of detail about your life. I wish I could have been there for soup and scrabble! I wonder what $2.00 will bring me at the Boulder Farmer's Market tomorrow. . .