Monday, July 21, 2008

You think US gas prices are high!

I STAND CORRECTED!!!!

My friend who read this same blog entry deduced that the person writing it must live in a more remote area of Mozambique and thus, pays more for gas than we do here in the city area. I also had another Mozmabican blogger comment that the last time she had calculated it, gas was about $6 a gallon.

I think it's gone up since then, I know non-diesel has, which is what I use. So, more likely I pay between $6 and $7 a gallon.

I apologize for not checking my information before posting it for the whole world!

Thanks to someone else's blog who took time to do all the math - liters to gallons and mets to dollars - I know now that I pay ($9.20 a gallon-wrong! Thankfully!) for gas!!!!

And it continues to rise, although not as quickly as prices were rising in the US while I was there. But the dollar is weakening so the exchange rate continues to weaken as well.

Factor in that I live 25 minutes from the nearest grocery store and 40 minutes from the heart of the city (in normal traffic) and that's a big chunk of change spent on fuel!

Wow. At least I know Who controls my pocketbook!

3 comments:

Lill said...

oh my that is awful!! I was thinking I could buy my daughter & I a fish fry & fries meal for that!

Ok, I will stop complaining....yet, I am old enough to remember when a gallon of spring water {99 cents} was more than a gallon of gas! Now you can still find a gallon of water for 99 cents, but, you sure can't find a gallon of gas for that much!

Your blog always blesses me---I visit often.

MoziEsmé said...

Wow! I had calculated $6 a while back. I don't think I want to check the math again, though. It is too depressing!

Nemo said...

When I was working in Central America, 6 years ago (before the real price jump in the States), we were having to pay $4.50 a gal. today it is over $5. However, this all had little effect on us for at the time we used horses as our sole means of transportation. The 60 mile (round-trip) into town each week to check mail, internet, buy food, and eat out for once, was always a much needed and nice break. Even a peace corps husband and wife would join us at times for the trip in.

When we're a little more settled in Africa, we plan to do the same thing. Our main reason being that this mode helps to break barriers in primitive settings. Please note: I am not saying that everyone needs to do this.