Thursday, December 04, 2008

Visiting Gettysburg

US visit October 2008 011

 

US visit October 2008 012

 

US visit October 2008 035

 

US visit October 2008 037

US visit October 2008 017

US visit October 2008 024

US visit October 2008 033

My trip to Gettysburg was amazing.  It was a bit overwhelming to stand and see for myself the place where so many American men gave their lives to fight for what they believed in.  It was such a glorious fall day, the beauty of the place made it all the more poignant what took place there so long ago.  I'm so glad I had the opportunity to go.  Thanks Mom and Larry for taking me!

1 comment:

Claire Koenig said...

I love your pictures. It is truly amazing to be there and see the actual site, see where Pickett's men obeyed orders sending them to certain death when they charged across toward Union lines. I read "The Killer Angels" (highly recommended) about Gettysburg while we were on our East Coast trip, and was reading about Chamberlain's defense at the end of the line. There were fresh flowers at his monument. Weird to think that if the South had known, they could have rolled right up the Union line and might have won that battle. I need to go back to the new visitor center and restored panorama. But there are so many things to see in this world!