Monday, April 13, 2009

Passear-ing with Pedro

Mozambique 122  I love having my little darling Pedro over for a visit!  He is such a delightful boy and I love his company, I really enjoy being with him!  He broke a tooth recently so I took him to the dentist, discovering he had another tooth that had broken some time ago as well!  So he needs two teeth removed, the first of which we'll do next week.  School is out for two weeks right now so this is a good time to take care of things like this. 

 

We ran into TONS of traffic on the way home as it was Good Friday so most people got off work mid-day.  It took twice as long to get home as it normally does.

So I took that opportunity to teach him a game I used to play with my nephew Sean when he lived with me.  It's quite simple - you choose four or five letters to give a person and they have to choose words that make some sort of sense as a sentence.  For example he gave me the letters T B N Q and I thought for a minute and chose "Tall Boys Never Quit."  Well, he did amazingly well considering he's still learning English and doesn't know how to read English fluently so there's loads of words he doesn't know how they're spelled. 

After the dentist,(and don't his teeth look great in THIS photo!) before going home, we had stopped at a little park IMG_5563 with a cafe called Surf.  That little stop is what put us in the heaviest traffic leaving the city.  So, I kept teasing him that he had made me take him to Surf and that's why we had to drive so slow, etc.  So, at one point, I gave him W D P M M T H T S?  And he exclaimed, "Nine letters!  You can't do that!"  And I told him the first word was "why" because he has trouble with "w" words because no words start with that in Portuguese (don't quote me on that!) and I encouraged him to think about it a minute.  Well, it didn't take him long to figure out, "Why Did Pedro Make Me Take Him To Surf?" and he laughed and laughed and was so proud of himself!  All the while exclaiming that HE didn't make me take him to Surf!

April 2009 100We had a yummy crockpot chicken meal for dinner which is always a hit.  We'll have leftovers for lunch tomorrow and whatever we don't eat, I'll give my Tias to enjoy.  I wonder if Pedro will in fact leave them anything?  He IS a growing boy!

Please say a prayer for Pedro's teeth and dental care - he will need two broken teeth out via operation because they're so decayed that they would likely come out in pieces if they were just pulled.  I'll have him with me for two nights afterward but am concerned about follow-up care when he goes home.  He had two nights of excruciating pain that I was able to help with baking soda, vanilla and chewing gum - all thanks to an internet search for "home remedies for toothaches!"   But they don't have those things at his home, he would have had to just endure. When he went home this week though, I loaded him up with a bit of all of the above so if he gets a toothache before he has  it removed, he'll have something to try.

By the way "Pass-e-ar-ing" means going out or hanging out kind of, there is no exact translation for such a great word.  And since I don't know my "ing" form well in Portuguese, I have gotten into the VERY unfortunate habit of adding "ing" on to every verb!  I actually forgot that Passearing wasn't the actual word!  I'm in trouble!

No comments: