Tuesday, September 01, 2009

I love Soup!

On a blog I read, the writer asked "what's your favorite part of your kitchen?"  And although my kitchen is nothing to brag about, I love it, even though it's tiny, tiny!  But I replied that my favorite part must be my CrockPot, perhaps because it took three years to get permission to have it!

August 2009 028 

Here's my kitchen in all it's glory, just a little section of the wall in the main room.  I'm standing in my bedroom taking the photo.  Behind the door is the sink, that's all you don't see.  There is a round table just out of the photo to the left.  See the spot between my trusty crock-pot and the blue cutting board in the dish drainer?  That's my counter space!  In this photo, there's a loaf of bread filling the space!

Anyhoo, back to my love of soup!  Soups are one of my favorite things to eat so therefore, the CrockPot (or slow-cooker if you prefer) is one of my favorite things to cook with!  It's still winter-enough around here that I can eat soup with abandon!

August 2009 029

This was last nights soup:

Zucchini Soup with Oven Croutons

(rumored to be Katherine Hepburn's favorite recipe!)

I had to show off my CrockPot in the photo too!

 August 2009 032

I did add a dollop of sour cream but it sank right into the soup, leaving only a teensy bit of cilantro for garnish.  I knew I didn't have enough zucchini and I guess that's why it turned out a bit thin but still spicy and delicious!

August 2009 031

Because I love my CrockPot so much, you might guess I have a fav cookbook to go with it.  Here it is:

"Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes For Two"

What really caught my eye was the line on the back that says "showcases fresh, wholesome ingredients rather than relying on packaged, convenience foods." Oh good!  Because we don't have too many packaged, convenience foods here so I thought I might actually be able to make most of the recipes.  And indeed I have!

And, because it's for two, I always have just enough for some leftovers or to invite over a friend!

The soup for tonight?

August 2009 014

August 2009 029

Cauliflower Soup!

"Served with French bread (which unfortunately I don't have!), this is French peasant food at it's most elemental!"  I love that description!

On the menu for tomorrow night?

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Yep, without the tortillas!

(Many thanks to my trusty immersion blender without which none of these soups would be possible!)

2 comments:

Claire Koenig said...

I'm going to have to look for that cookbook. I love to walk in to smell something wonderful cooking, and the crockpot enables that vice for me! I also like the idea of fresh ingredients. I'm trying to teach myself to be healthier that way. (Unlike one of my new convenience favorites, cola pork chops - pork chops, coke, catsup, and maybe 1 or 2 other ingredients. Believe it or not, it's quite tasty, and takes about a minute to put together. I made it with Dr. Pepper. Haven't tried it with "Coke Light." :) ) Enjoy tonight's soup.

Andy, Amy & Addysen said...

Mmmmm, looks good Laura! I've got that book written down and will be looking for it soon. I don't use my crock pot enough and I know I would love it if I did.