Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Salada! In abundance!

In my July birthday post, I mentioned sticker shock in an American grocery store when I wanted to buy salad for my birthday dinner.  A small bunch of red leaf lettuce was $2.99!  A head of iceburg wasn't much better at about $2.50!!  I didn't end up buying the lettuce in the end, I just couldn't pay that much when I know the price of salad here, at least part of the year.  I think you'll understand why when you see the photos below!

August 2009 024

It's the height of lettuce and tomato season so right now, I can buy lettuce, tomato and onion enough for 35 people (that's 35!!!) for 40 mets, which is about $1.50!!!!  And not just a little salad either.  Take a look at these photos and you'll see, we all ate salada in abundance!

August 2009 025

 August 2009 026 August 2009 027 August 2009 028

Mind you, that's not the price all year round but while it is, we're eating it like it's going out of style!

No comments: