Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Navy docks again in Mozambique!

What a great honor it was to have the US Navy send about 40 of it's sailors to work at our center today.  (You can read about last year's visit by the USS Robert G. Bradley here and here.)  The USS Nicholas and the USS Swift are here in Mozambique as part of their tour of eastern and southern Africa.  They chose to spend part of their community relations project here at Iris. 

In addition, we had several other special guests.  A few folks from the Embassy came and did music and crafts with the Baby House and my dorm, the new US Ambassador was here as well as the Navy band, 'Top Brass.'  It was a fun day.

Once again, I was proud of America, our military, the Navy and my dad, a retired Navy non-commissioned officer!

Navy visit 2010 003 

Just had to get this shot with his Navy shirt!

Navy visit 2010 005

This sailor is a Senior Chief, the same rank my dad was when he retired from the Navy!

Navy visit 2010 009

One of the sailors helping cut out giraffes with my boys!

Navy visit 2010 014

The woman in the middle is our new US Ambassador to Mozambique, Leslie Rowe.  She seems very down to earth.  Along with her in the photo, L-R, are: Todd Chapman, the departing Charges d'Affaires, (and my dorm helper, Rebecca's uncle!), Pastor Jose, Linda's husband, and Francisco, our Iris Administrator. 

Navy visit 2010 022

  This sailor, the most senior ranking member of the ship at our center, is being presented with one of our posters of our kids.  (PS: he's the same one in the photo above who shares the same rank as my dad!)

Navy visit 2010 023

Here's the military band, Top Brass, who were so good and so fun.  When was the last time I heard live New Orleans style jazz, I ask you?

Navy visit 2010 026 

These guys were my fav!

  Navy visit 2010 027

So, what'd I do after they left?  I did what any homesick American would do if they could - grabbed a snack from home and ate it with abandon!

4 comments:

L. Lagore said...

Nice post :) Sorry to see Todd leaving, he's an old friend of ours. Our son wants to join the Navy (Canadian) so he'll enjoy reading this I'm sure. Blessings!

Mindy said...

What a wonderful day it looks like you all had! I had no idea the Navy did this, but I think it is fabulous and I'm sure a big blessings to all of the sailors who were able to participate.

公車 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Laura said...

Hi Lynne, I just read your lengthy latest post, you guys are up to a lot! Todd seems very nice, his niece is working with me in my dorm this year.
Hi Minday! I don't know if they do it all the time but this particular deployment is building relationships and connections (with the navies and civilians) of various African countries. They did it last year as well and it was great!