Monday, July 04, 2011

Happy 4th of July America!

February 2010 030

Oh, say can you see by the dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars thru the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?
And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

This flag hangs in the USS Nicholas Navy ship that I was blessed to tour last year.  Here is what  I learned about it from two retired sailors who commented on my blog about it last year:

"The ensign you see in the photo is the one that was flown by USS Nicholas DD 449 thru the Philippine Campaign and was presented by me to then Cmdr Amerault, at the commissioning of USS Nicholas FFG 47 and it was flown from the yardarm the day she was commissioned."

How amazing it was to chat, via email, with these men who were so strongly connected to their US military service, what an honor!

God Bless America!

1 comment:

Marcia (123 blog) said...

hi, our facebook time is over and I don't want you to have to wait til I get home tonight to get a birthday wish from me.

Happy birthday, dear Laura, hope you're having a fabulous day :)