Friday, September 02, 2011

Kiev - Street Scenes

Kiev 074

Hand painted eggs are a common sight in Ukraine - this was a sphere completed covered with them in a rainbow of colors - beautiful!Kiev 007

All women, young and old, cover their heads before entering Orthodox churches.  I found it interesting to see stylishly dressed young women whip out their scarves before going into church. 

Kiev 009 Kiev 008

Two slightly different looking ladies entering church!    Kiev 023

The next cover of "Modern Bride?"

I've never seen so many brides and grooms walking through city streets with their photographers as I have in Kiev and Krakow!  But not all with cell phones!

Kiev 101 

Flowers were everywhere in Ukraine - ladies selling them and people buying them and carrying them on the metro and buses.  There were so many, I wondered if they were used for religious purposes but I never got a clear answer on that.  Kiev 102 Kiev 063

Of course, anyone would know that was their Metro Stop . . .  what, you mean you can't tell that says "Poznicky?"  Ok, then, just look for your stop on the list below . . .Kiev 007 Kiev 009 Kiev 011

How about instead, a ride on a super old tram, #219? (Ok, I say below I didn't take any photos on public transport, but I sat in the last seat to take this one and was only on this tram two stops so I risked it!)

Kiev 079 

Quaint little gas station in the semi-suburbs.

Kiev 006

I wish I had a photo that captured the amazing number of Soviet-era, high rise apartment buildings here.  I didn't take any photos while in the public transport so this one from my friend's 5th floor window will have to do.  They are everywhere, masses and masses of them. 

Kiev 105 Kiev 107  Kiev 110

The entrance and elevator of my new friend Christy's apartment building in a Soviet-era housing block.  I was a little shocked when I first arrived but discovered, as in Mozambique, the inside of the apartments are much nicer and kept up well, it's the outsides that get very little maintenance. 

Kiev 006 

While we were there, there was a lot of political controversy and street demonstrations about a former Prime Minister put in prison by the current president.  The controversy swirls around accusations that he had her imprisoned before election time as she is his closest rival.  We were there for Ukraine's 20th Independence Day and the protestors (who were there daily) were especially strong then, trying to avoid Ukraine losing some of the freedoms she had gained in her struggle for independence.  This is my very un-educated summary of what I understood was the gist of the demonstrations. 

Kiev 014

Meanwhile, Babushka does what others like her have done for ages, controversy or no - tried to make her simple living selling homemade honey in the courtyard of a peaceful church. Kiev 016

And Babushko (?) tries to make a peaceful living making the world a more beautiful place with his lovely music. 

1 comment:

The Reeds said...

How awesome! When did you go and why?