Monday, March 05, 2012

Celebrating Lent

Lent_16x9_580Although I am not Catholic, I have always appreciated the purpose and meaning of Lent (my limited understanding of it anyway).  I love the idea of preparing my heart and mind and spirit to reflect on the significance of Easter, Christ’s blood shed for me, the perfect sacrifice to make me wholly acceptable and pleasing to God.

I also love the process of giving something up as a small (pathetic really) symbol of what Jesus gave up for me.

And, I love the act of sacrificing something so that my heart and mind have more room for God.  And more time.

So the times I have celebrated Lent, I have never given up food.  Rather I have given up something with a time element. 

This year, I have given up Facebook.  And reading blogs.  Both of these things take up a lot, way too much, of my time.  Both of them are enjoyable and valuable and yet something that their absence will enable me to enjoy and value my time and relationship with God more.

So this post will show up on Facebook because my blog is automatically linked to it.  But if you want to reach me, try the “old-fashioned” way – email me at Lauraleighanderson@hotmail.com!

Anyone else out there celebrating Lent?  Or have you ever?  Would love to hear your stories!

1 comment:

pamelitarose said...

Hello Lapa D!!!! I finally have your blog coming to me...it has never worked before...why, I really don't know.

I have given up games on my phone. Though I only play them at certain times a day, there is a group game I look forward to and check throughout the day. I think it has already caused me to remember more frequently, Christ's sacrifice for me.