Sunday, March 10, 2013

Sometimes on Sundays . . .

I like to take the day to read and relax and be by myself mostly.  Other days, I like to have the boys in, in groups of “brothers” and cook and sort and putz around.  I do so love to putz around!  I get a lot done on those days.  Today has been one of them.

IMG_5723

Here’s the makings of a few different things.  First, “Brinjela Conserve” also known as Eggplant, um, conserve?  Not sure what to call it but it’s yummy.  My Brazilian friend Clara taught me to make it last week, so good. I also made guacamole and an avocado hand scrub moisturizer I found on a blog, from-fresh-tomatoes tomato sauce for the first time last night and these tomatoes will also go toward gazpacho soup for the first time as soon as I get a cucumber. 

IMG_5733Here’s my cute-patoot helper, Manuel, who was so proud to be cooking!  He stirred so carefully and none slopped over (more than I can say for myself) or burned.  The boys love to help me cook.IMG_5729

We had a special visitor today, Feliciano, who moved to the next dorm in January.  Things are so improved for him since we had two visitors, sisters, Charlotta  and Victoria, who have sponsored him for adult diapers for a year.  He can sit on my cushions now!  Thanks again ladies!

IMG_5724

I found a fun toy by Melissa & Doug at a new shop in town, a little café with special gifts and kids toys.  Not cheap but not much more than you’d pay in the US and I don’t have to figure out how to get it here.  They have fantastic quality toys, using lots of wood.  This one is magnetic, enclosed in the plastic screen so you can lose the pieces, and you fill in the shapes with the matching color pieces.  the boys love it!  (I added a link to the Amazon site of Melissa & Doug products above, I recently signed up to be an Amazon Associate.  I love giving people small revenue if I buy something through a link on their site so I thought I would try it here.   No pressure, just a disclaimer!  But hey, if you buy Melissa & Doug on Amazon, why not buy it through this link?!)

IMG_5730

Check out my new lime green baskets I bought to get the boys toys organized instead of everything dumped in some random old boxes on the shelves.  Love the difference small things can make.

IMG_5732

Felix hurt his knee so you’re seeing three parts of the RICE prescription for sprains/swelling:  Rest, Compression and Elevation. Lucas wore himself out playing with his cups with Felix. 

IMG_5734

And here’s the finished project!  What would you call this?  Be nice - I know, it doesn’t look too appealing, even in person, the taste is better than the look.  And I’m no food photographer, but I wanted you to see what me and Manuel made!

IMG_5638

Bonus:  Yummy beetroot salad with feta cheese and toasted slivered almonds, both of which make everything taste amazing! 

How was your Sunday?

2 comments:

Debbie Crawford said...

Looks delicious! Going to have look up that avocado scrub!

Laura said...

Hi Debbie! I enjoyed it, don't know if it did my hands any good but it was fun anyway, nice way to massage my hands!