Saturday, June 01, 2013

Children's Day, 2013

IMG_5949Whew, what a day!  Especially after having just traveled 44 hours back from the US to arrive the day before our second most exciting (in other words, busy) day of the year!

But it’s all worth it to see the joy on these darling boys’ faces as they are blessed with a new outfit, a gift bag full of fun presents and a yummy chicken dinner with far too much on the plate to finish!

DSC_0335Wonderfully, all their clothes fit except for Pai’s trousers – oh dear!  I know skinny jeans are in for boys too but this was a bit much.  I called another missionary who works with the older boys and she bailed me out with a bigger pair of jeans.  Pai is my biggest boy and although these jeans fit ok when I bought them, they were definitely not ok now! Sweet thing, he didn’t even complain but he sure was relieved when I gave him a different pair.

Ros told me a litte story about our special lunch for the children who live in the vicinity of the garbage dump, the bocaria, often whose families make their living picking through the garbage.  Each Children’s Day and Christmas, we bring about 100 of them here for a special meal and a gift bag.  Two of the sweetpeas arrived yesterday wearing their best – pajamas!  She said you could tell they were fairly DSC_0337pleased with their nice clothes (they were in good condition) but the other kids began to touch their clothes and the kids became self-conscious.  Ros sweetly complimented their clothes and asked if they might want another outfit for special things like church and took them to our clothing room for a new outfit which they were well pleased with.  Makes you think, doesn’t it?

While I was in the US, our VCR was stolen while everyone was at church.  Fortunately, I had bought a new DVD player (our old one had broken six months or so ago) so I had a replacement of sorts and the boys were able to settle in for the end of a long day with a new DVD – Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, very cute! 

DSC_0352They were zonked out in bed at 8pm and I won’t be far behind!

It’s a privilege to bless these wonderful little boys with some things that make them happy!  Thank you for partnering with me to help make this possible!

It’s not too early to start making plans to celebrate next Children’s Day here with us – it’s always June 1st!  Everyone is welcome Smile

DSC_0353

3 comments:

FlyRedButterfly said...

I swear we just did Christmas together!! Has it really been 6 months!!! Wow!! So glad the boys had a great day!! Did you hear my news?? I got accepted for level 2 harvest school and will be heading to Micronesia in August!! (I resigned from my job effective the end of this term!) so pumped!! Then God willing will be in Africa by October- my heart is set on Sth Sudan but we'll have to see!! Rest well ;)

pamelitarose said...

I love love all the pictures! Thinking about you just getting back and making this happen...you are a great daughter and a great mum to these boys!!!

Tell them they all look SO handsome in their new clothes!
Love you friend!

Laura said...

That is so cool! I'm really happy for you as I know you've been wanting this - can't wait to hear more! And I too can't believe six months has passed!

Pamelita, I will tell those cutie pies they look SO handsome! I agree. thanks for the kind words!