Friday, June 27, 2014

H is for Hamburger ~ even in Portuguese!

IMG_3514

For my Afternoon Program, which I do Tues, Weds and Thurs, one room at a time, we are using the alphabet to determine our activities and learning.  This week was H!  H is for hamburger and it’s also for “hora” which means hour and also, loosely, time.  They’ll ask, “a que horas?”  meaning, “what time?” etc.

IMG_3517

There aren’t a ton of words that start with H that were practical for our program so we focused on time.  And hamburgers!  We made out own clocks, so fun!  It took a little trial and error but most of them got it.

IMG_3519

I chalked out a huge clock in our main room and the boys had to pick a number and find their place in the clock.  Then we took turns laying down to form the big and little hands and had the boys lay down to make a time we had called out.  I say “we” because I took a turn laying on the floor being the big hand as well!IMG_3561

IMG_3520IMG_3522

After working up an appetite, we came back into my house for the highlight of the day!

IMG_3566IMG_3563

You should have heard those boys oohing and aahing over how good these hamburgers smelled cooking!  We didn’t have buns so we used regular bread.  I think the part they liked best was that I slathered them in ketchup, or as they call it, “tomate sauce!”  They love it!  I think I could just give them a cup of ketchup and call it a snack!

I really don’t think any of these boys had ever had a hamburger.  They certainly aren’t served here and when they go out, it’s always for chicken or pizza.

Needless to say, they loved it!

2 comments:

The Reeds said...

Laura, I'm so sorry. I've been crazy busy with Oatmeal Smiles and I've been doing a media fast this month. Sorry to drop off! I'm "back on" in July. I hope you're doing well and thanks so much for checking on me. :)

Laura said...

HI Georgia! Oh that's great! I had forgotten about Oatmeal Smiles because I read your blog thru my reader, I will have to check out OS! Boy, I should do a media fast too! Bless you in that, hope you are seeing lots of good fruit in many areas of your life from it. Laura